My favorite moment of the night when when my niece, Sophia, told my nephew, Channing, "Hold my hand!" Sophia is 2 and Jesse's sister's oldest and Channing is 3 and my sister's oldest. They had just met - it was priceless. She also made him slow dance. Too cute.
Of course, kids move to fast for any of us to have picture of those moments, but here are a few pictures of the rest of the night.
The sparkly cake was SO delish! I thought I would share the recipe. It was pretty easy, too! After the last layer of frosting, I cut a "30" out of some card stock and lightly pressed it into the top of the cake to use as a stencil for the edible star-shaped sprinkles I bought. Who doesn't need sparkles on their 30th birthday cake?
Chocolate-Amaretto Layer Cake
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 18.25-ounce package devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 18 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar