Friday, July 27, 2012

Tutorial: Jamberry Nail Shields

I'm always up for trying new things...especially when I have a coupon! When I came across a coupon for Jamberry Nail Shields I was immediately intrigued! I Googled, saw good reviews and bought!

I thought I would quickly share my Jamberry Nails experience and some tips I find useful on getting a better application! Please pardon the poor photos - I took them with my iPad instead of my real camera.

Here are the instructions from the Jamberry website:
  • Step 1: Clean nails with nail polish remover or alcohol. (Clean, oil free nails are one of the most important steps of the application)
  • Step 2: Cut and file nails to desired length and shape.
  • Step 3: Buff top of the nail and push back cuticle.
  • Step 4: Match nail (finger or toe) to the nail shield that best fits.
  • Step 5: Peel off nail shield and warm with a blow-dryer 10-15 seconds or until soft and flexible.
  • Step 6: When warm, press the shield onto the nail. Apply firm pressure around edges to adhere the shield to the nail. Use rubber cuticle pusher to seal the shield around the cuticle.
  • Step 7: Trim the top with scissors and file off remaining shield using a downward motion to remove excess.
  • Step 8: Apply heat and pressure to the shield again until it is sealed to the nail. (Repeating this step several times helps create a tight seal to the nail surface and increases wear time)
  • Optional Step 9: For active users you can add a small amount of nail glue to the free edge to better seal the nail shield. 
Here are my own tips!
Supplies! I used the same as in the instructions, except for one thing...
An embossing gun! I found that this heats the shields more than a hair dryer and  is easier to use because there is a stand and a more direct airflow. It does get REALLY hot, though, so you have to be careful!
I have VERY curved nails, so I have to keep mine short to do the shields. When they get long, the shields tend to buckle and don't stay on as long. This is right before I trimmed and filed.
And...done!
Overall, it took about 45 minutes for my first FULL set (I've done 1-2 nails mixed with polish just to get the technique down prior to doing a full set). The nice thing is...no drying, no smudges, no topcoat. When you are done, you are done!

I'm excited to see how long they last since I am hard on my hands with typing, cleaning products, etc. As of now, I would give them a B+! I didn't have any nail glue on hand, but I might try that next time, too. Just in case!


1 comment: